Monday Memo-Edition #7
October 26, 2015
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Hello WHS! Through a bit dreary, for me and my family is was a great weekend to stay in and catch up on things. I hope that you had a great weekend no matter what plans you had.
Here are some Monday updates.
- Congratulations to our 23 Commended and 9 Semi-Finalist National Merit Scholarship Award recipients. The commended students are in the top 5% of PSAT test takers and our semi-finalists are in the top 16,000 test takers of the over 1.5 million who take them. Wow! We are very proud of our Scholarship recipients. They are: Commended-Laura Diamond, Rachel Donaldson, Lucy Dong, Thomas Dougherty, Anamika Dutta, Dylan Fam, Oliver George, Rebecca Hao, Sarah Luettgen, Jude Macannuco, Joelle Maclean, Khalid Mahmood, Elizabeth Massman, Abigail Mumme-Monheit, Anatoly Osgood, Eva Pontrelli, Akshitha Ramachandran, Claire Ruben-Meyer, Nina Tchirkova, Edward Tu, Alexander Wei, Jeremy Yu, Rosanna Zhang. Semi-Finalist-Sean Gai, Grace Kromm, Christopher Kuang, Alexandra Martirosian, John Na, Ashley Yu, Hubert Yuan, Kendall Zhu and Jacob Zuch. Well done!
- Congratulations to our new Parent members-Janice Jens and Laura Krotky who will join returning parents Heidi Driscoll and Roger Haines for spots on our School Council. We will also have community member Sandi Thompson and returning student Maggie Splaine, as well as a new student representative that will be chosen this week. Our staff members will be DJ Prowell, Craig MacKenzie and Kathy Grace. Our first meeting will be on Nov. 5th at 6:45 am in my office. It is an open meeting and I give our team a huge kudos for joining a team that meets that early!
- Thank you Mrs. Betty Britt our head nurse and the nursing crew who came in to immunize so many at WHS on Friday. This is wonderful collaborative effort by our Board of Health and School Nurses that seek to immunize students from the flu. I also appreciate our staff’s flexibility during the morning that was somewhat disruptive.
- Don’t miss our upcoming events sponsored by the Coalition:
- HIdden in Plain Sight Display at Town Hall for Adults only. 10/27-11/6 Town Hall/varying times
- What you need to know about talking about Marijuana 11/9 Griffin Ctr. 7:00 pm
- Teen Depression Workshop for Parents and students. 11/17 WHS Learning Commons at 7:00 pm-Pizza will be served
Here are some repeating updates:
- You are INVITED! Stop in at the Principal’s Office for the WHSPFA Coffee with the Principal. Our hope is to have regular coffee chats with principal, Chris Kelley in her office to hear about all the great things that are happening at WHS as well as her vision for things to come. Our first coffee will be on Tuesday, October 27th at 7:15 am hosted in the principal’s office. Stop by as all are welcomed!
- Yearbook Update-Just a reminder for seniors and senior parents-the deadline for senior portraits and parent dedication pages is Wednesday, October 28th. Information about portrait specifications and forms for parent ads can be found at the WHS Yearbook website at: http://winchesteryearbook.jimdo.com Any student can also purchase a yearbook for the 2016 edition on the site.
- This upcoming week’s Day Schedule will be:
Memo Shout-Outs- We have so much to be proud of here at WHS. I have asked staff to send me regular shout out announcements so we can recognize some of our great happenings for our WHS community. (If you have a shout out to share-please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Winchester High School girls volleyball program held their 6th Annual Serve for the Cure fundraiser on Friday, October 9th. The team played against Melrose High School and all proceeds from the event will go to the Winchester Hospital Breast Care Center for the fourth straight year. The varsity team will visit the WHBCC on November 2nd to meet the doctors, nurses, and staff. The team will also present the Breast Care Center with this year’s donation of over $3,000! The program has raised over $18,000 for breast cancer research, support, and equipment in the six years since starting the fundraiser match.
- Congratulations and thank you to members of the boys and girls varsity hockey team came out to participate in the Steps 2 Cure Neurofibromatosis Walk two weeks ago. The team came to support a teammate, whose younger brother was diagnosed with the disease last year. We are so proud of this crew for giving up free time on what was a cold and windy day!
- On Thursday members of the Math Team took the Massachusetts Association of Mathematics League (MAML) Olympiad Level I. This is a challenging 90 minute test taken by students throughout the state. Students will find out in a few months if they qualify for the Level II Olympiad, which takes place in March.
- Congratulations to our Student Council who raised over $2,300.00 dollars (Thanks to their matching funds) for Breast Cancer Research by hosting their annual pajama day on Friday!
In this section, I hope to introduce or reintroduce our community to members of our community.
We welcome Spanish Teacher Mario Hernandez Santiago. He is from Mexico and studied Cultural Anthropology and Spanish Studies at UMass Boston and Guitar at Berklee College of Music in the early 2000s. We are happy to have Mario be a part of Team WHS!
I will continue to repost items and add dates to this weekly update-I apologize in advance for any omissions. Please email me to be posted onto this listing: email@example.com
Get that Sachem Spirit come to our sporting events! (Highlighted events are HOME/Local events).
|Monday 10/26 6:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Andover||AHS Red Gym|
|Monday 10/26 3:30 pm||Field Hockey vs Concord-Carlisle||Knowlton Stadium|
|Tuesday 10/27 4:00 pm||Swimming vs. Arlington||Home-Medford HS|
|Weds. 10/28 3:30 pm||Boys/Girls CC vs. Stoneham||Home-Horn Pond|
|Thursday 10/29 4:00 pm||Swimming vs. Wakefield||Home-Medford HS|
|Thursday 10/29 4:00 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Chelsea||Chelsea HS|
|Thursday 10/29 7:00 pm||NHS Induction Ceremony||Lincoln School|
|Saturday 10/31 11:00 am||Volleyball vs. Medford||Home-McCall|
|Monday 11/2 2:40 pm||Middlesex League CC Meet||Woburn CC|
|Monday 11/2 7:30 pm||WHSPFA Meeting/Social||WHS Dining Commons|
|Thursday 11/26 10:00 am
|Football vs. Woburn
Have a GREAT week!
October 26, 2015