Monday Memo–Edition #35
May 31, 2016-Tuesday edition
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
I hope that you had a wonderful long holiday weekend. It is especially important for us all to take time out of our busy schedules to stop and think about our veterans and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to our country.
- Congratulations to our over 70 Junior Academic Award winners! It was a great night to celebrate!
- WHS is proud to be cutting edge with the Seal of Biliteracy. This seal is given out to those who pass a rigorous exam showing huge skill in a second (or for some third) language. We had 117 given out the other night. WHS is leading the way with this. Check out: https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach/status/736192318206824450 We also had hundreds of Foreign Language Awards given out that night. It was a greatNight to celebrate our Foreign Languages!
- Congratulations to our Social Studies department who coordinated our Annual Living History Day which included famous historians to our campus. A special thank you to our WHS PFA who grant funds our special event!
- Spread the word-we will have a FUTURE Freshmen night on June 8th from 5- 6:45 pm. The event is open to all rising freshmen to have a tour of the school, ice cream and a small gift of welcome from the PFA. The event will be followed by the mandatory Athletic meeting for freshmen considering playing sports in our auditorium at 7:00 pm.
- Thank you to Sgt. Perenick and Saltmarsh Insurance who sponsored and planned our Distractology Van this week.
- This from the district transportation department: Dear Parent or Guardian: The 2016-2017 Transportation application is now available. You can access the form by going to the District Website: Winchester Ma Public Schools. On the main page click “Resources” and the drop down menu will have the application and frequently asked questions. Please review your application to be sure you have indicated your child’s name, grade and school. Also, your name, address and email address and cell phone number. Fees go up after Aug. 1st and bus routes will be published 8/19. Thank you
Weekly Shout Outs:
- Congratulations to Team Mango who was honored at a Technovation event at the State House this week.
- Graduation update-As you may realize, our graduation will take place on the Knowlton Stadium field behind McCall. As Manchester Field has a synthetic turf field, please do not wear heels as they will damage the field. Please keep that in mind when planning what your outfit.
- Our Senior Prom plans are well underway. We have noticed that many seniors will be bringing some of our junior Sachems from other classes (which is great)! I would, however, like to remind any Freshmen, Sophomore or Junior dates that Wednesday, June 1st and Thursday, June 2nd are full school days. We will not be allowing dismissals or tardies due to prom related plans. Any absence will be considered unexcused. We hope that you will make your plans for prom accordingly knowing that you will have to be ready quickly in the three hours before our promenade. We also hope that underclassmen will plan to head home after prom knowing that our school day will begin early the next morning (I know that our adult chaperones will be tired but will be here the next morning). I thank and appreciate parents support of this important rule as we have limited class time before we break in less than two months.
- Winchester Foundation for Educational Excellence (WFEE) is paving the way! You can be a part of Winchester High’s future with a personalized brick. Bricks come in three sizes $100-$350. Order online at www.bricksrus.com/order/whsbrickpark Orders are accepted until July 1st.
- Don’t forget #GotYourBack sponsored by the Coalition. If you see someone who you think may have overdosed or have alcohol poisoning please follow these important steps:
- Try and Wake them Up…if not CALL 911.
- Check their skin. If it is pale or clammy, CALL 911.
- Check their breathing. If it is not regular, CALL 911.
Let’s all work together to keep everyone safe today and everyday.
5. Join Relay for life of Winchester on Manchester Field Track on June 25th-26th from 5:00pm-6:00am Relay for Life is a life changing, fun filled, all ages, overnight, community event that brings people together to raise cancer awareness and funds for cancer research, advocacy efforts, education and patient service programs. It serves as a celebration for cancer survivors, a memorial for loved ones lost, and a community rally to fight cancer. If you would like to register or learn more about Relay for Life please go to www.relayforlife.org/winchesterma
- Winchester’s Got Lunch will be collecting cans of tuna during the month of May. The box is in our front lobby of our Dining Commons. If you would like support with the Winchester’s Got Lunch program, go to: www.winchestergotlunch.org
- Are you looking for the perfect Father’s Day gift? Why not order an official WHS neck tie. They are only $40 and are red and black striped, with or without the Sachem logo in long tie or bow tie form. Orders can be placed by going to: http://whsclassof2017.com/whs-sachems-swag
This week’s schedule will be:
|May 31 4:00 pm||WHS Girls Lacrosse Tournament vs. Woburn||Woburn|
|May 31 7:00 pm||Boys Volleyball vs. Cambridge||Home McCall|
|June 1 5:30 pm||Senior Prom|
|June 1-2||Science MCAS||Biology Students (gr.9)|
|June 3 5:00 pm||Boys Lacrosse vs. (winner of Marblehead/NE Reg)||Home|
|June 5 4:00 pm
(Rain Date-June 6 6:00 pm)
|WHS Graduation||Knowlton Stadium
|June 8 5:00-6:45 pm||Future Freshmen visits and tours||WHS|
|June 8 7:00 pm||Mandatory Athletic Meeting for Freshmen||WHS Auditorium|
|June 25-26||Relay for Life||Manchester Field Track|