Monday Memo–Edition #34
May 23, 2016
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Congratulations to our Class of 2016 who finished up their regular school days last week. At the Senior Awards last week, we had a record number of awards with over 140 awards that were presented. This has been a wonderful and talented class. We look forward to good decisions and safe celebrations as we finish up senior finals next week before Senior Week with fun starting at the prom on June 1st.
- Congratulation to our own Mr. John Fleming. John is WFEE’s First Annual Sarah Swiger award winner. This award given in former School Committee Member, Sarah Swiger’s memory is given to staff who exemplify her commitment to students, passion for outstanding teaching, devotion to community service, and innovative teaching practices. We are proud of John as we believe that Sarah would also be proud that John is the first award winner.
- Don’t forget #GotYourBack sponsored by the Coalition. If you see someone who you think may have overdosed or have alcohol poisoning please follow these important steps:
- Try and Wake them Up…if not CALL 911.
- Check their skin. If it is pale or clammy, CALL 911.
- Check their breathing. If it is not regular, CALL 911.
Let’s all work together to keep everyone safe today and everyday.
- Caps and Gowns for seniors will only be distributed after senior obligations are complete.
Combat Robotics team attended the National Competition this past weekend-
The WHSCombat Robotics team competed at the 2016 National Robotics LeagueNational
Competition at California University in Pennsylvania on May 21st. WHS students have
designed and built remote controlled robots that will face-off in a gladiator-style
competition. This year, WHS competed with two robots. Representing WHS at the
competition are seniors, Jefferson Kim (team captain), Scott Czeck (co-captain), Kyle
Hopp, and Max Rebentish and juniors, Chris Kang and Philip Tegmark.
- STEM Certificate
On May 13, WHS Senior Asavari Scarf successfully completed the
requirements for the Winchester High School STEM Certificate by presenting her STEM
Project on the Study of Mutations in Lung Cancer. In addition to this presentation, Asavari
also completed 4 years of math and science, 4 approved STEM courses, and a 30-hour
internship at Lawrence General Hospital. Please join us in congratulating Asavari in this
accomplishment. Interested in earning the STEM Certificate? For those
underclassmen who are interested in earning the STEM Certificate, some of the
requirements have changed. Please checkout the STEM Program website at
https://goo.gl/pG8Dml or by talking to Mrs. Grace in the library. There will also be an
informational meeting on Monday, May 23rd for all students interested in earning the
Weekly Shout Outs:
- Congratulations to Alexandra Martirosian, Chris Kuang, Rachel Donaldson, Sean Gai, and Kendall Zhu who all received National Merit Scholarships.
- Congratulation to Melissa Zavez who is the winner of the Winchester Republican Town Committee Essay Contest.
- Congratulations to Artyom Martirosyan who won first prize in the 2015 Italian Heritage Contest.
- Graduation update-As you may realize, our graduation will take place on the Knowlton Stadium field behind McCall. As it is a turf field, we have been asked to ask graduates and guests on field not to wear heels as they will damage the field. Please keep that in mind when planning what you will wear.
- Our Senior Prom plans are well underway. We have noticed that many seniors will be bringing some of our junior Sachems from other classes (which is great)! I would, however, like to remind any Freshmen, Sophomore or Junior dates that Wednesday, June 1st and Thursday, June 2nd are full school days. We will not be allowing dismissals or tardies due to prom related plans. Any absence will be considered unexcused. We hope that you will make your plans for prom accordingly knowing that you will have to be ready quickly in the three hours before our promenade. We also hope that underclassmen will plan to head home after prom knowing that our school day will begin early the next morning (I know that our adult chaperones will be tired but will be here the next morning). I thank and appreciate parents support of this important rule as we have limited class time before we break in less than two months.
- Winchester Foundation for Educational Excellence (WFEE) is paving the way! You can be a part of Winchester High’s future with a personalized brick. Bricks come in three sizes $100-$350. Order online at www.bricksrus.com/order/whsbrickpark Orders are accepted until July 1st.
- Join Relay for life of Winchester on Manchester Field Track on June 25th-26th from 5:00pm-6:00am Relay for Life is a life changing, fun filled, all ages, overnight, community event that brings people together to raise cancer awareness and funds for cancer research, advocacy efforts, education and patient service programs. It serves as a celebration for cancer survivors, a memorial for loved ones lost, and a community rally to fight cancer. If you would like to register or learn more about Relay for Life please go to www.relayforlife.org/winchesterma
- Winchester’s Got Lunch will be collecting cans of tuna during the month of May. The box is in our front lobby of our Dining Commons. If you would like support with the Winchester’s Got Lunch program, go to: www.winchestergotlunch.org
- Are you looking for the perfect Father’s Day gift? Why not order an official WHS neck tie. They are only $40 and are red and black striped, with our without the Sachem logo in long tie or bow tie form. Orders can be placed by going to: http://whsclassof2017.com/whs-sachems-swag
This week’s schedule will be:
|May 23 3:30||Boys Tennis vs. Reading||Reading|
|May 23 3:30||Girls Tennis vs. Reading||Home-Packer|
|May 23 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Stoneham||Stoneham|
|May 23 4:00 pm||Boys Lacrosse vs. Marblehead||Home-Knowlton|
|May 23 5:15 pm||Volleyball vs. O’Bryant High||Home-McCall|
|May 24 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Wilmington||Home-West Side|
|May 24 4:00 pm||Girls Lacrosse vs. Concord/Carlisle||Home-Knowlton|
|May 24 7:30 pm||Foreign Language Awards (invitation)||WHS Auditorium|
|May 25 3:45 pm||Baseball vs. Austin Prep||Austin Prep|
|May 25 7:30 pm||Junior Awards Night (invitation)||WHS Auditorium|
|May 26 3:30 pm||Boys Tennis vs. Wilmington||Wilmington-Textron|
|May 26 5:00 pm||Boys Lacrosse vs. Falmouth||Home-Knowlton|
|May 28 12/3:00 pm||Dick Scanlon Tournament-Baseball||Wilmington|
|June 1 5:30 pm||Senior Prom|
|June 1-2||Science MCAS||Biology Students (gr.9)|
|June 5 4:00 pm||WHS Graduation||Knowlton Stadium|
|June 25-26||Relay for Life||Manchester Field Track|