Monday Memo–Edition #32
May 9, 2016
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
In writing this edition, I am unbelievably impressed with the many, many shout-outs we have this week! I am proud to be a part of a community with so many talented and thoughtful students (and staff). Our staff felt very appreciated last week as we were treated to a lovely luncheon and other thoughtful goodies from parents and students. #proudtobeasachem
- Our Senior Prom plans are well underway. We have noticed that many seniors will be bringing some of our junior Sachems from other classes (which is great)! I would, however, like to remind any Freshmen, Sophomore or Junior dates that Wednesday, June 1st and Thursday, June 2nd are full school days. We will not be allowing dismissals or tardies due to prom related plans. Any absence will be considered unexcused. We hope that you will make your plans for prom accordingly knowing that you will have to be ready quicky in the three hours before our promenade. We also hope that underclassmen will plan to head home after prom knowing that our school day will begin early the next morning (I know that our adult chaperones will be tired but here the next morning). I thank and appreciate parents support of this important rule as we have limited class time before we break in less than two months.
- Winchester Foundation for Educational Excellence (WFEE) is paving the way! You can be a part of Winchester High’s future with a personalized brick. Bricks come in three sizes $100-$350. Order online at www.bricksrus.com/order/whsbrickpark Orders are accepted until July 1st.
- Please join the Winchester Coalition for a special screening of Breaking Points this Thursday, May 12 at 7:00 pm at the Jenks Center. It is a short film about how teens cope with stress and their healthy and unhealthy choices. It will be moderated by WBZ Anchor, Paula Ebben and the panelists include Maria Lee Taylor (Drug-Free Kids), Kevin Kozin (LICSW), Will Slotnick (Dir. of Wellness Coll.) and Kiki Albanese (WHS grad and college student). This is not to be missed!
- Join Relay for life of Winchester on Manchester Field Track on June 25th-26th from 5:00pm-6:00am Relay for Life is a life changing, fun filled, all ages, overnight, community event that brings people together to raise cancer awareness and funds for cancer research, advocacy efforts, education and patient service programs. It serves as a celebration for cancer survivors, a memorial for loved ones lost, and a community rally to fight cancer. If you would like to register or learn more about Relay for Life please go to www.relayforlife.org/winchesterma
Weekly Shout Outs:
- Congratulations to the Winchester High Technovation Challenge teams. For the third year in a row our teams placed first out of the 38 competing teams. The Technovation Challenge is a girls-only entrepreneurship and app-development challenge. The team members included Iman Moreira, Jennifer Kim, Saskia Gilmer, Emily Lee and Lulu Tian. They built an app called Freeway that combines the concepts of Uber meeting Facebook events. We are thrilled with their work!
- Congratulations to National Merit Finalists: Sean Gai, Grace Kromm, Chris Kuang, Alexandra Martirosian, John Na, Ashley Yu, Hubert Yuan, Kendall Zhu, and Jacob Zuch.
- The Winchester HIgh School Latin Club placed 2nd at the Massachusetts Junior Classical League’s 60th Annual State Convention which was held last weekend (April 29 – May 1) at Barnstable High School in Hyannis. WHS students competed throughout the year and at the event itself in academic, athletic, artistic and leadership categories. Among their first-prize awards were Community Service, Community Outreach, Media, Publicity, Toga Parade, Spirit and Boys’ Chariot. This is the club’s highest award in its 10-year history. 11 students representing the club, their teacher/sponsor (Ms.DeCamp) and their chaperone/student teacher (Elizabeth Andrews) enjoyed the friendly but fierce competition provided by hundreds of Latin students from 18 schools in Massachusetts.
- Congrats to Rachel Donaldson who was awarded the AATF (American Assoc. Of Teachers of French) Outstanding Senior in French Award.
- Congratulations to Chemistry teacher, Dave Benedetto who will be inducted into the Aula Laudis Society. The society is part of American Chemical Society and the Aula Laudis is the hall of fame for outstanding teachers in the profession. I will be a proud invitee at the dinner this week. Congrats Mr. D!
- Congratulations to Abby Joseph and Oliver Cordeiro who were this year’s Middlesex League Principal Award winners. (Last week’s Memo had incorrectly named one of the recipients).
- Winchester’s Got Lunch will be collecting cans of tuna during the month of May. The box is in our front lobby of our Dining Commons. If you would like support with the Winchester’s Got Lunch program, go to: www.winchestergotlunch.org
- Are you looking for the perfect Father’s Day gift? Why not order an official WHS neck tie. They are only $40 and are red and black striped, with our without the Sachem logo in long tie or bow tie form. Orders can be placed by going to: http://whsclassof2017.com/whs-sachems-swag
This week’s schedule will be:
|May 9 3:30 pm||Boys Tennis vs. Woburn||Home-Packer Courts|
|May 9 3:30 pm||Girls Tennis vs. Woburn||Woburn|
|Ma 9 3:30 pm||Frisbee vs. Andover||Andover|
|May 9 3:45 pm||Bball vs. Melrose||Home-MacDonald|
|May 9 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Melrose||Home-West Side|
|May 10 9:00 am||Parent Conversations||Library Conference Room|
|May 10 3:30 pm||Track vs. Arlington||Home-Manchester|
|May 10 3:45 pm||Bball vs. Wakefield||Home-MacDonald|
|May 10 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Melrose||Home-West Side|
|May 10 4:00 pm||Boys Lacrosse vs. Melrose||Home-Knowlton|
|May 10 4:00 pm||Girls Lacrosse vs. Melrose||Melrose|
|May 11 3:30 pm||Boys Tennis s. Lexington||Home-Packer|
|May 11 3:30 pm||Girls Tennis s. Lexington||Lexington|
|May 11 3:30 pm||Sailing vs. Wellesley||Home-WBC|
|May 11 3:45 pm||Bball vs. Woburn||Home-MacDonald|
|May 11 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Woburn||Home-West Side|
|May 11 5:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Malden||Home-McCall|
|May 11 6:00 pm||Strawberry Pops-WHS Music Concert||WHS Dining Commons|
|May 12 3:30 pm||Boys/Girls Track vs. Belmont||Home-Manchester|
|May 12 3:30 pm||Frisbee vs. Somerville||Home-Mullin|
|May 12 3:30 pm||Sailing vs. Hingham||Home-WBC|
|May 12 7:00 pm||Coalition Presents “Breaking Points”||Jenks Center|
|May 13 3:30 pm||Boys Tennis s. Reading||Reading|
|May 13 3:30 pm||Girls Tennis vs. Reading||Home-Packer|
|May 13 3:45 pm||Bball vs. Lexington||Home-MacDonald|
|May 13 3:45 pm||Softball vs. Lexington||Home-West Side|
|May 13 4:00 pm||Boys Lacrosse vs. Reading||Home-Knowlton|
|May 13 4:00 pm||Girls Lacrosse vs. Reading||Reading-Parker Middle|
|May 13 6:30 pm||Volleyball vs. Lexington||Lexington|
|May 14 10:00 am||Bball vs. Arlington||Home-MacDonald|
|May 14 10:00 am||Softball vs. Arlington||Home-West Side|
|May 16 7:00 pm||Octets/Chamber End of the Year Concert||Winchester Unitarian Church|
|May 17-18||Math MCAS||Grade 10 Students|
|May 18 7:30 pm||Senior Awards Night (invitation)||WHS Auditorium|
|May 20||Last Day for Seniors/Breakfast||WHS|
|May 20-21||Winchester EnKa Fair||Winchester Center|
|May 24 7:30 pm||Foreign Language Awards (invitation)||WHS Auditorium|
|May 25 7:30 pm||Junior Awards Night (invitation)||WHS Auditorium|
|June 1||Senior Prom|
|June 1-2||Science MCAS||Biology Students (gr.9)|
|June 25-26||Relay for Life||Manchester Field Track|