Monday Memo–Edition #21
February 8, 2016
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
I hope everyone had a relaxing four day weekend after our snow days. Since next week is our upcoming Winter Vacation my family and I are planning to be away. I will check messages on February 21st before our return to school on February 22nd. I hope that you are able to spend time with your friends and family.
- Winchester School Department is looking for two teachers, two parents and two students to serve on the WHS Principal Interview Team. If you are interested please email Sean Walsh, Director of Personnel by 2/12 at noon (firstname.lastname@example.org) In addition, WPS is looking for feedback about the qualities you would like to see in the new leader. To give feedback, go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q9NY3KP
- Welcome to John Pirani who has returned to WHS to serve as the Interim Special Education Supervisor for the remainder of the year. He can be reached at: email@example.com. We will post for a permanent supervisor in early spring to begin on July 1st. Welcome back John and we thank you for stepping up to support our Sachems!
- Graduation plans are set. Our plan is to have our WHS Class of 2016 Graduation on Manchester Field (behind McCall) outside on Sunday, June 5th at 4:00 pm-NOTE the later time in the day to helpful avoid the heat of the day. (Rain Date will be Monday, June 6th at 6:00 pm). We will be sending out more information regarding senior week activities. Keep checking your Edline account for updates.
- Just a reminder that we are now collecting gently new or used prom dresses to help WHS students and Belle of the Ball. Boxes are in our lobby and at 28 Richardson St. You can also donate gift cards to Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack or DSW. Please send the cards to me at WHS. These dresses will help any of our students who may need support as well as others from area communities. Thank you for your support!
- f you haven’t already reserved the weekend, please plan to come to one of our performances of Damn Yankees on March 3-5. Check out the information about tickets and showtimes on: https://goo.gl/YhN5kq. This will be our first performance in our new space. I’ve seen snippets of the show and it is NOT TO BE MISSED.
- We will also be hosting a Community Open House on March 21st from 5:45 until a wonderful Music Concert at 7:00 pm in the new auditorium. All are welcomed!
- We are currently short on student parking. With more student drivers and the winter snow piles, we are really feeling the crunch. We hope that students will carpool. In addition, we would like to stress to parents and students the need to drive carefully through the student drop of area. We have had several close calls.
Memo Shout Outs:
- Congratulations to the following students who were accepted to participate in the State-wide Ma All-State Music Festival: Joe Alejo for Tenor, Connor Shank for Tenor, Dylan Fam for Tenor, Qiuyue Liu for Alto, Tata Vivas for Alto, Francesca Panzara for Alto, Joy Zhang for Oboe, Sam Lee for French Horn, and Emilia Lew for Flute. These students received a high enough rating this past November in order to qualify for StatesYou have made Winchester proud, thank you!
- Please join me in congratulating this year’s Scholastic Art Award recipients presented by the Boston Globe. WHS Visual Artists submitted a wide range of work using a variety of media, to be judged by a board of artist/educators. Winchester must have made quite an impression, as our students were given a total of 23 awards for their artistic achievement. When you see the following students, please tip your hats to them: Claire August Silver Key Comic Art-Meghan Cronin Gold Key, Honorable Mention x 2 Photography-Christina Eng Honorable mention x 2, Silver Key Drawing & Illustration-Aliza Franz Silver Key Ceramics-James Glasser Honorable Mention Mixed Media-Linnea Holahan Honorable Mention x 2 Drawing & Illustration-Isha Khanzode Honorable Mention Mixed Media-Kathleen Kirk Silver Key Painting-Winnie Li Gold Key x2, Honorable Mention x3, Silver Key Drawing & Illustration-Mary Surabian Honorable Mention Photography-Amber Wang Honorable Mention x 2 Photography-Sharon Xiang Gold Key Drawing & illustration.
- Congratulations to Matt Fagan, Matt Fantozzi, Nicholas Franco and Tarvis Hintlian who are receiving belated recognition for participating in the EMARC Tennis Program. These students are busy with sports and studies and yet found time to support special needs athletes. Thank you!
- We also have Boston Globe Writing Awards that were received to our wonderfully talented students. Congratulations to Anna Abbanat for an Honorable Mention and Silver Award in Screenplay and Film and to Claire Kiewra for Gold Key and Honorable Mention for two Short Stories.
- Thank you to members of the Spectrum Club who organized our Days of Dialogue that help promote acceptance of all of our students.
This week’s schedule will be:
|Tuesday, Feb. 9 3:30||Nordic Ski Races||Notchview|
|Tuesday, Feb. 9 5:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Belmont||Belmont|
|Tuesday, Feb. 9 7:00 pm||Boys Bball vs. Belmont||Belmont|
|Wednesday, Feb. 10 5:00 pm||Boys Hockey vs. Belmont||Viglirolo Rink-Belmont|
|Wednesday, Feb. 10 6:00 pm||RESCHEDULED Gymnastics Meet||Reading Memorial High|
|Wednesday, Feb. 10 7:00 pm||Girls Hockey vs. Belmont||Viglirolo Rink-Belmont|
|Thursday, Feb. 11 3:45||Alpine Ski-Slalom||Nashoba|
|Friday, Feb. 12 5:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Arlington||Home-Woburn|
|Friday, Feb. 12 7:00 pm||Boys Bball vs. Arlington||Home-Woburn|
|Saturday, Feb. 13 6:00 pm||Girls Hockey vs. Arlington||Ed Burns Rink Arlington|
|Saturday, Feb. 13 8:00 pm||Boys Hockey vs. Arlington||Ed Burns Rink Arlington|
|Monday, Feb. 15 2:00pm||Boys Bball vs. Arlington Catholic||Arlington Catholic|
|Monday, Feb. 15 3:45pm||Boys Hockey vs. Wellesley||Babson Skating Ctr.|
|Monday, Feb. 15 5:00pm||Girls Bball vs. Lynnfield||Home-McCall|
|Thursday, Feb. 18 2:30 pm||Boys Bball vs. Malden||Home-Woburn|
|Thursday, Feb. 18 6:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Newburyport||Newburyport|
|Tuesday, Feb. 23 3:45||Alpine Ski-Slalom||Wachusett|