Monday Memo–Edition #19
January 25, 2016
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Dear WHS Community,
Hope that you had a great weekend even if it included a loss by our hometeam. It was a tough one to watch but oh what a season! I hope that our students are rested after a busy week of midterm exams. My son just completed his first round as a freshman and it was a long week at the Kelley household. We are now up and running for the second half of the year.
As mentioned in previous memos, even if your child did not have the best start this year, it is never too late to start over. Today is the beginning of a new term and a whole new start. When my daughter started college, her college president gave some sage advice on how to succeed in college (though this recipe works for every experience). He said that students should do the following to excel in school “Do your best, do your work and ask for help when you need it.” So I challenge every Sachem to do the same-give it your best, keep up with you assignments and let us know when you need some support!
- I want to thank the wonderful Winchester High students and the Winchester Community for the support given to me in my role as your Interim Principal this year. I want to let you know that the district will be moving forward to find a permanent leader to guide WHS for the next chapter. Dr. Evans will be sending out details regarding the search process and the assembling of a search team in the next day or two. I do want to say that I am very thankful for my role as Interim this year as I have learned so much. I care about our community and all of our students. I will continue to work hard with the Administrative team to offer any support that could help with the selection and transition of the new principal. I promise that I will continue to work hard in my remaining days here at WHS. I have high hopes and big dreams. I am proud to have shared in the journey.
- I recently received news from the College Board that one of our Seniors, Thomas Dougherty received the highest of all possible points on his last May’s AP Chemistry exam. This is quite an honor as only four students worldwide received a perfect score on that exam! We are very proud of Thomas and his work with our great science department. A congratulations to Thomas’ Chemistry teachers (Ms. Gina Zhou-Chemistry and Mr. David Benedetto-AP Chemistry) who supported Thomas in his work. Congratulations Thomas!
- Freshmen families should have received a letter about our upcoming “Day of Dialogue.” The Day will be held on February 1st. If you have have any questions, please let us know as we will be eager to share thoughts about this important day sponsored by our Spectrum Club.
- Please come and support the Varsity Basketball teams Coaches vs Cancer event Friday January 29th at Woburn High School. Girls start at 5:00 boys at 7:00. All proceeds benefit American Cancer Society.
Monday Shout Outs:
- Congratulations to our Health and Wellness department and their Foods and Nutrition classes. This semester’s Food Truck Wars was a rousing success! Four sections of Foods and Nutrition served over 350 students bites of super delicious, super healthy foods over two days! With trucks named Fries Before Guys, Crepe Escape, and Tic Tac Taco, the competition was fierce! Everyone did well and it was a great culminating project for the Foods and Nutrition students!
- Congratulations to Team Flight 01890 who recently received third place at the Real World Design Challenge. “The Real World Design Challenge (RWDC) is an annual competition that provides high school students, grades 9-12, the opportunity to work on real world engineering challenges in a team environment.” We are proud of our team as they did a great job in a tough competition.
|Tuesday, January 26 3:30 pm||Nordic Ski Team||Weston Track|
|Tuesday, Jan. 26 4:30 pm||Gymnastics vs. Wakefield||Wakefield|
|Tuesday, Jan. 26 5:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Melrose||Home-Woburn|
|Tuesday, Jan. 26 7:00 pm||Boys Bball vs. Melrose||Home-Woburn|
|Wednesday, Jan. 27 6:00 pm||Girls Hockey vs. Melrose||Home-O’Brien|
|Wednesday, Jan. 27 6:00 pm||Wrestling vs. Belmont||Belmont|
|Wednesday, Jan. 27 7:00 pm||Discussion Group-Parent to Parent-Teen Anxiety||Winchester Public Library|
|Wednesday, Jan. 27 8:00 pm||Boys Hockey vs. Melrose||Home-O’Brien|
|Thursday, January 28 3:45 pm||Alpine Slalom Race||Nashoba Ski|
|Thursday, January 29 5:00/7:00||Bball Coaches vs. Cancer Basketball event||Woburn High|
|Friday, Jan. 29 5:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Woburn||Woburn|
|Friday, Jan. 29 6:00 pm||Swim vs. Lexington||Minuteman Tech.|
|Friday, Jan. 29 5 7:00 pm||Boys Bball vs. Woburn||Woburn|
|Saturday, Jan. 30 6:00 pm||Girls Hockey vs. Woburn||Home-O’Brien|
|Saturday, Jan. 30 8:00 pm||Boys Hockey vs. Woburn||Home-O’Brien|
|Monday, Feb. 1||Day of Dialogue||Freshmen Presentations|
|Monday, Feb. 1 6:00 pm||Boys Hockey vs. Hingham||Pilgrim Arena|
|Monday, Feb. 1 6:00 pm||Boys/Girls Track vs. Arlington||Reggie Lewis Ctr.|
|Monday, Feb. 1 7:30 pm||WHSPFA Meeting||WHS Dining Commons|
|Tuesday, Feb. 2 5:00 pm||Girls Bball vs. Lexington||Home-Stoneham|
|Tuesday, Feb. 2 7:00 pm||Boys Bball vs. Lexington||Home-Stoneham|
|Tuesday, Feb. 2 6:00 pm||Girls Hockey vs. Lexington||Home-Obrien|
|Tuesday, Feb. 2 7:30 pm||Gymnastics vs. Melrose||Ymca-Metro North|
|February 3||Report Cards Emailed|
|Tuesday, Feb. 3 3:30 pm||Nordic Ski Team||Weston Track|
|Wednesday, Feb. 3 6:00 pm||Wrestling vs. Arlington||Arlington Pit|
|Wednesday, Feb. 3 6:30 pm||WFEE Trivia Bee||Lynch School|
|February 4||Early Release Professional Day|
|Thursday, Feb. 4 3:30 pm||Alpine Slalom Race||Nashoba Ski|