Monday Memo–Edition #9
November 9, 2015
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Hello WHS! This Wednesday, we will once again celebrate Veterans’ Day. Each year, the Winchester Veterans plan a wonderful parade and ceremony. The ceremony will begin at 11:00 am at the Town Hall. Thank you to everyone who plans, plays and puts together this wonderful ceremony. Our Marching Band will be playing, it is an important day to take time to thank the many members of our armed forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
Here are the Monday updates.
- Congratulations to our new Student members of our School Council which met this week. They are Alex Casey, Claire Lawlor and Maggie Splaine. Our next meeting will be on December 10 at 6:45 am. It is an open meeting and I give our team kudos for joining a team that meets that early!
- Congratulations to our Fall Sports teams who have or are continuing to with competing in post-season playing! We are proud of all of our teams. We still have some games to cheer our teams on (see below for dates and location). We also want to continue with our reputation of having respectful and spirited fans at our games.
- During the month of October the WHS Wellness Program with SRO/Sgt. Perenick conducted the first Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) educational program. Approximately 160 female students participated in nine hours of classroom and hands-on self-defense education and techniques. Students now have the option of going forward with six more hours of training and an actual simulation outside of school hours in the month of November. For more information about RAD visit rad-systems.com A special thank you to the Winchester Coalition for a Safter Community for funding this program.
- Once again this year, WHS will be participating in WHS Gives Back. Last year, we were able to raise funds to help local families with gifts this holiday season. We are already looking to collect money in homerooms from now until early December. Thank you in advance for your donations!
Here are some repeating updates:
- Don’t miss our fall play brought to you by the Drama Club. The fall play will be at 7 PM on Tuesday November 17th, Wednesday November 18th, and Thursday November 19th at Town Hall. The show is Suite Surrender by Michael Mckeever, a farce, and it should be hilarious! The show will be held at the Town Hall Auditorium. Tickets will be $10.
- What you need to know about talking about Marijuana 11/9 Griffin Ctr. 7:00 pm
- Teen Depression Workshop for Parents and students. 11/17 WHS Learning Commons at 7:00 pm-Pizza will be served
- We will be participating in the Youth Risk Behavior Survey on November 17-18. You received an email last week about our plans. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
- This upcoming week’s Day Schedule will be:
Memo Shout-Outs- We have so much to be proud of here at WHS. I have asked staff to send me regular shout out announcements so we can recognize some of our great happenings for our WHS community. (If you have a shout out to share-please email me at email@example.com)
- Winchester Battlebot members-Jaehyeok (Jefferson) Kim, Scott Czeck, and Charlotte Pappas will attend the Massachusetts STEM Summit on Tuesday, November 6th. During the summit, they will assist Winchester resident Steve Tamasi (CEO of Boston Centerless) in the workshop called Project-Based Learning + Real World Manufacturing + Industry Mentors = Job Driven Stem Education. The group will discuss their project-based work of designing and creating robots to compete in the National Robotics League.
- Mr. Petty and five WHS students – Alexis Costales, Melissa Zavez, Eliza Albert, Kalisti St. John, and Annie Wu (Team AMEKA)- are featured in the documentary CODEGIRL. The documentary follows several teams from around the world while they are competing in the 2015 Technovation Challenge. AMEKA placed third in the world in the finals in San Francisco in June. The movie is available at: http://www.codegirlmovie.com/
In this section, I hope to introduce or reintroduce our community to members of our community.
In a past issue, we were introduced to our newest art teacher, Paul Hackett. I would also like to reintroduce you to other members of our Art Department. Our students are guided by a talented group of art teachers here at WHS and we are proud to share information about them.
Meet Robert Gillis. Robert has taught Art I, Sculpture, Computer Animation I and II, Photoshop I and II, and Honors Photography. He has been at WHS for 18 years and has a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts in Photography from Mass. College of Art and a Masters in Science in Art from Massachusetts College of Art. This is the eleventh year for “Photosynthesis” a collaborative photographic project between the Boston Arts Academy, Winchester High School and the Griffin Museum of Photography. The students from the Boston Arts Academy and Winchester High School will exhibit their work in the main gallery of the Griffin Museum at the end of the year. Mr. Gillis has been introduced to photography since he was twelve years old and convinced his parents to allow him to turn a basement storage room into a darkroom. He is the proud parent of two college boys.
Meet Terry Lannon. Terry currently teaches Sculpture, Honors Sculpture, and Photoshop I and II. He has been in the system for 23 years with the last 7 years at WHS. He holds a BFA from Massachusetts Art and an MFA from Boston University. His hobbies are Bible study, long walks on the beach, mountain biking, swimming, music ministry, Christian Worship leader, guitar, drums, vocals and piano.
Meet Jennifer Levatino. Jenn serves as art teacher and art director of grades 6-12. She currently teacher Senior Honors Art, Studio Art I and Photography I. She has taught Humanities, Honors Art, Drawing and Painting, Adobe Photoshop, Sculpture, and Studio Art II.
Jenn has been at WHS since January 1999. She has graduated with a PFA in Painting and Masters of Art in Art Education from Boston University. Jenn is originally from New York. She currently lives in Cambridge and has an art studio in Somerville.
I will continue to repost items and add dates to this weekly update-I apologize in advance for any omissions. Please email me to be posted onto this listing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get that Sachem Spirit come to our sporting events! (Highlighted events are HOME/Local events).
|Monday 11/9 2:00 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Central Catholic||Knowlton Stadium|
|Monday 11/9 2:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Danvers||Danvers|
|Tuesday 11/10 9:00 am||Parent Conversations with Dan Perenick/Amber Haines||WHS Library Conference Room|
|Wednesday 11/11 11:00 am||No School
Veterans’ Day Ceremony
|Town Hall (outside)|
|Drama Club Presents
|Town Hall Auditorium|
|Thursday 11/19 6:00 pm||Technology Night
drop in for a mini workshop (some presented by our own WHS staff)
|McCall Middle School|
|Saturday 11/21 11:00 am-2:00 pm||WHS Spirit Fair (Come do your shopping)||WHS Dining Commons|
|Early Release Day 11:15
(following Pep Rally)
|Thursday 11/26 10:00 am
|Football vs. Woburn