Monday Memo-Edition #4
October 5. 2015
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Hello WHS! Despite the cooler days and longer nights, things are heating up here at WHS and we are already in our busy second month of school. With our few rainy days last week, I have received some inquiries about our modular units (we have two sets) and wondering about coverings. We don’t have planned coverings this year for several reasons including delivery truck access, movement of the units and plans for further movement due to our three phase project. We will plan to do our VERY best to keep modular walkways free from snow and ice in the coming months. Though rare, we sometimes do have heavy rain like we saw last week which definitely makes traveling between buildings (as many high school and college campuses do) tricky. Please remind your child to wear appropriate clothing, a raincoat or carry an umbrella. We are doing our best to keep the inconvenience of our project to a minimum but in the end, we are working around a major and huge project. Thank you for your understanding!
Our first dance was a huge Patriotic success! The Junior class through their American themed dance on Friday night danced the night away. Thank you to class advisors, Kristyn Beauchesne and Stephanie Kudlate, class officers and our Assistant Principal, Sue Mochrie who helped plan our wonderful night. The Junior class parents also planned a lovely party at Lucia’s on Friday night and raised funds for this wonderful class of 2016.
We have some Monday updates.
- Please stop in at the WHSPFA Meeting tonight at 7:30. The Guest speakers will be Dr. Judy Evans, our school superintendent and me! In addition, It is not too late to give to the WHSPFA Direct Appeal. This is their only fundraiser and any amount is gratefully received (but a $75 family contribution is suggested). Thank you to the WHSPFA for their support of all things WHS. You can send in your donations to the office in an envelope marked-WHSFA Direct Appeal.
- PSAT exams will be given on a school day on October 14, 2015 across the nation as was determined by the College Board. Mrs. Chakladar is coordinating our tests this year. The registration forms are in A306 or in the Main Office. Though typically administered to Juniors, there will be some testing spots for Sophomores. The cost is $18 and checks should be made out to Winchester High School with PSAT and your child’s name in the memo line. If you need financial support, please email me directly at email@example.com
- The Winchester Coalition invites you to the Jenks Center on October 6th at 7:00 pm for a special screening of “Out of Reach” a short film documentary, about a high school student who looks into the problem of teen prescription drug use. A panel discussion will follow at 7:00 pm.
This week’s Day Schedule will be:
Memo Shout-Outs- We have so much to be proud of here at WHS. I have asked staff to send me regular shout out announcements so we can recognize some of our great happenings for our WHS community. (If you have a shout out to share-please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Congratulations to students Ethan Wong and Justin Yu who make the Boston Globe Magazine article about teen entrepreneurship.
- Congratulations to student, Jude Macanucco who was awarded at the Massachusetts State House for excellence in Italian. Jude was presented the award by our Foreign Language Director, Anna Tirone.
- Congratulations to Coach Cacciapuoti and Coach Fleming who were awarded The NE Volunteer Values award. These awards are given to volunteers who demonstrate behavior that exemplifies Mission, Stewardship, Diversity, Data-Driven and Respect. We are proud to have them on our TEAM!
In this section, I hope to introduce or reintroduce our community to members of our community.
Meet Cassidi Hardy who is a special educator and co-teaching in our Biology classes. Mrs. Hardy has taught in both public and private over the last five years working with students from grades kindergarten to high school. She has a Bachelor Degree in English and a Masters in Education from Boston University where she also played softball. She and her husband are busy with two daughters. Welcome Cassidi!
Meet James Moriarty our new computer educator. James a doctorate from Boston University in Educational Media and Technology as well as a MBA and Bachelors Degree in Business. He has taught computer classes and AP Computer Science at Burlington High School. He has taught for over twenty-five years and enjoys the challenge of teaching a curriculum that is forever evolving. He and his wife love to travel especially to Italy and the Caribbean. You can check out his blog at http://moriartyj.blogspot.com/
I will continue to repost items and add dates to this weekly update-I apologize in advance for any omissions. Please email me to be posted onto this listing: email@example.com
Get that Sachem Spirit come to our sporting events! (Highlighted events are HOME/Local events).
|Date||WHS Event (for more sporting schedules go to:||Location|
|Monday 10/5 3:45 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Wakefield||Home-Knowlton|
|Monday 10/5 4:00 pm||Swimming vs. Melrose||Mystic Valley Charter Pool|
|Monday 10/5 5:00 pm||Volleyball vs.Wakefield||Home-McCall|
|Monday 10/5 6:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Wakefield||Walton Field Wakefield|
|Monday 10/5 7:30 pm||WHSPFA Meeting 7:30 pm||Dining Commons|
|Tuesday 10/6 3:30 pm||Cross Country vs. Reading||Home-Horn Pond|
|Tuesday 10/6 3:30 pm||Golf vs. Arlington and Watertown||Home-Winchester CC|
|Tuesday 10/6 6:00 pm||Field Hockey vs. Wilmington||Wilmington Middle School|
|Tuesday 10/6 7:00 pm||Coalition-“Out of Reach” Documentary and Panel Discussion||Jenks Center|
|Wednesday 10/7 11:10 am||Early Release Prof. Dvmt||Dismissal at 11:10|
|Wednesday 10/7 3:45 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Wilmington||Wilmington-North Intermediate|
|Wednesday 10/7 4:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Wilmington||Wilmington Middle School|
|Wednesday 10/7 6:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Wilmington||Home-Knowlton|
|Thursday 10/8 3:00 pm and 3:30 pm||Golf vs. Catholic and Woburn||Home-Winchester CC|
|Thursday 10/8 3:30 pm||Field Hockey vs. Melrose||Home-Knowlton|
|Friday 10/9 3:45 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Melrose||Home-Knowlton|
|Friday 10/9 5:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Melose||Home-McCall|
|Friday 10/9 6:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Melrose||Melrose-Green Field|
|Saturday 10/10 1:30 pm||Football vs. Lexington
|Wednesday 10/14||PSAT testing
Juniors are NOT automatically registered
|Registration Forms are in the Main Office $18 fee|
|Wednesday 10/14 7:00 pm||Parent to Parent “Taking Back Childhood”||Lincoln School Auditorium|
|Friday 10/23 All Day||WHS Flu Clinic sign up at:||WHS|