Monday Memo-Edition #3
September 28. 2015
Follow Me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach
Follow my Blog: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
Hello WHS! It was so great to see so many friendly faces at our Open House Night last week. I heard so many wonderful comments about our staff, students and facility and it made me proud to be a part of this wonderful community. In addition, there was such great excitement at our Student Activities Fair in our Dining Commons. Thank you to the many students, teacher advisers and our wonderful PFA coordinator, Malini Dutta who planned a wonderful showcase of all of things that WHS has to offer beyond the school day. Thanks to Andrew Termini and WHS Tech Crew, for putting together my welcoming message playing in the Library/Media Center. If you didn’t have a chance to see it, it is posted on my blog at: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
We have some Monday updates.
- In order to keep the traffic moving safely, in addition to asking you to move up all the way, It has been recommended that you to use your directional when pulling over to the right and then using it again, when you rejoin moving traffic in the left lane.
- Agenda books and student ids were given out on Friday, Sept. 25th. If your child, did not get either, have them stop by the office to get them. In addition, if your child won’t be using their agenda, they can turn it in and we will give out extras as needed. I apologize again for those who went out and purchased their own agendas (and I know that they are expensive). As soon as I realized that students in all grades were expecting them, we did our best to get the message out about our delayed order.
- In addition, It is not too late to give to the WHSPFA Direct Appeal. This is their only fundraiser and any amount is gratefully received (but a $75 family contribution is suggested). Thank you to the WHSPFA for their support of all things WHS. You can send in your donations to the office in an envelope marked-WHSFA Direct Appeal.
- Our first dance of the year is being held by the Junior Class on Oct. 2nd and it will be American Themed. Dance Contracts are due on Wednesday and is posted on Edline. In addition, the cost is $25. The junior parents will be running a fundraising social/silent auction at Lucia’s and tickets are $30. So plan to drop your student off and visit with friends everyone in the community is invited!
- PSAT exams will be given on a school day on October 14, 2015 across the nation as was determined by the College Board. Mrs. Chakladar is coordinating our tests this year. The registration forms are in A306 or in the Main Office. Though typically administered to Juniors, there will be some testing spots for Sophomores. The cost is $18 and checks should be made out to Winchester High School with PSAT and your child’s name in the memo line. If you need financial support, please email me directly at email@example.com
- The Winchester Coalition invites you to the Jenks Center on October 06th at 7:00 pm for a special screening of “Out of Reach” a short film documentary, about a high school student who looks into the problem of teen prescription drug use. A panel discussion will follow at 7:00 pm.
- Thanks for the suggestion by a WHS family, I will now include our weekly daily schedule.
This week’s Day Schedule will be:
Memo Shout-Outs- We have so much to be proud of here at WHS. I have asked staff to send me regular shout out announcements so we can recognize some of our great happenings for our WHS community. (If you have a shout out to share-please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Congratulations to the twenty three National Merit Scholarship Commended Students. Letters of acknowledgement will be sent home and announcements will be made in the local papers.
- Jessica Horwitz and Andrew Termini who reworked their National History Day documentary about the Berlin Wall and have been selected to be a part of the All American High School Film Competition in NYC. What a great story of perseverance and grit by these two filmmakers. We wish them the BEST of luck!
I will continue to repost items and add dates to this weekly update-I apologize in advance for any omissions. Please email me to be posted onto this listing: email@example.com
Get that Sachem Spirit come to our sporting events!
|Date||WHS Event (for more sporting schedules go to:||Location|
|Monday 9/28 5:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Belmont||McCall MS HOME|
|Monday 9/28 3:30 pm||Field Hockey vs. Belmont||HOME-Knowlton|
|Tuesday 9/29 3:30 pm||Boys/Girls CC vs. Lexington||Lexington-Lincoln Turf|
|Tuesday 9/29 3:30 pm||Golf vs. Burlington||Billerica CC|
|Tuesday 9/29 3:45 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Belmont||Home-Knowlton|
|Tuesday 9/29-6:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Belmont||Belmont-Harris Field|
|Wednesday 9/30 5:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Arlington||McCall MS HOME|
|Wednesday 9/30 3:30 pm||Field Hockey vs. Arlington||Home-Knowlton|
|Wednesday 9/30 3:30 pm||Golf vs. Belmont/Gloucester||Home-Winchester CC|
|Wednesday 9/30-12:00-5:00 pm||Winchester Community Blood Drive||First Congregational Church 21 Church St.|
|Wednesday 9/30-7:00-8:30 pm||Senior Night for College Guidance-Class of 2016||McCall MS Auditorium|
|Thursday 10/1 3:30 pm||Golf vs. Stoneham/Reading||Winchester CC|
|Thursday 10/1-3:45 pm||Boys Soccer vs. Arlington||Home-Knowlton|
|Thursday 10/1-3:45 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Arlington||Arlington-Pierce Field|
|Thursday 10/1-5:30 pm||Swimming vs. Lexington||Minuteman-Lexington|
|Friday 10/2-3:30 pm||Field Hockey vs. Wakefield||Home-Knowlton|
|Friday 10/2-3:30 pm||Golf vs. Wilmington||Hillview CC|
|Friday 10/2-4:00 pm||Volleyball vs. Medford||Medford HS|
|Saturday 10/3 2:30 pm||Football vs. Arlington||Home-Knowlton|
|Saturday 10/3 6:00 pm||Girls Soccer vs. Needham||Needham HS|
|Monday 10/5 7:30 pm||WHSPFA Meeting||Dining Commons|
|Tuesday 10/6 7:00 pm||Coalition-“Out of Reach” Documentary and Panel Discussion||Jenks Center|
|Wednesday 10/14 7:00 pm||Parent to Parent “Taking Back Childhood”||Lincoln School Auditorium|
|Friday 10/23 All Day||WHS Flu Clinic sign up at:||WHS|