September 14, 2015
Greetings from Winchester High School! And a Happy New Year for those who are celebrating Rosh Hashanah! I have had a great first week with students as Interim Principal. It was nice to welcome all of them at our daily class assemblies in our beautiful new Dining Commons space. I am so appreciative of the warm welcome and support that I have received from the WHS community! Thank you one and all!
I was thrilled to be present at our home opener of football as we won against Wilmington. I especially enjoyed the Tailgating Friendraiser event sponsored by WHS Leads that took place before the game. Great work everyone!
I know that many of you were able to tour our new phase completion of our project and many more will plan to see our beautiful additions on Open House Night on Sept. 24, but you may also wish to view this video produced by WinCam found at: https://youtu.be/JQkKACSrI94
As part of my plan to keep open and frequent communication, we plan to have multiple avenues to keep everyone informed. Our planned communications venues will be as follows:
- Use of Twitter~I will be tweeting and retweeting from other members of the WHS community things of note that are happening at our high school and in our community very often during the week. My Twitter name is https://twitter.com/cmkelleyteach Please sign up for Twitter if you haven’t already and follow me for regular updates. Here is a short video on how to sign up if you have not yet plunged into the waters of Twitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIeEGAr53jw
- Use of my Blog~I will plan to regularly post to this about some of the great happenings at WHS. You can join this too and get notification of when I post as my postings will not be on a regular calendar. You can find it at: https://teamwhs.wordpress.com/
- Daily Announcements~Our daily announcements are now into full swing and will be posted on Edline once announced to the students. The announcements are found in the middle column on our Edline page at: http://www.edline.net/pages/Winchester_High_School
- Monday Memo~This memo will be sent out each Monday with up-to-the minute updates as well as a section to Shout-Out some of our great happenings at WHS. These will also be posted on our Edline site after publishing for you to review at a later time.
- WHSPFA~Our Parent Faculty Association uses Constant Contact to get reminders and updates out on a very regular basis. They publish a monthly newsletter and a weekly Community News update. To sign up to receive their blasts (if you do not already receive them) go to: http://www.whspfa.org/
Memo Shout-Outs- We have so much to be proud of here at WHS. I have asked staff to send me regular shout out announcements so we can recognize some of our great happenings for our WHS community.
- Congratulations to our own Mr. Benedetto who received one of the 90 Hach High Chemistry Grants awarded by the American Chemical Society. In addition, he just found out that he received one of twenty teacher grants from the ASM Materials Education Foundation. These grants will be used to add to our Chemistry department materials.
Computer Education-The Computer Education department welcomes a new faculty member, Mr. Jim Moriarty. Mr. Moriarty has a background in both business and computer education and is teaching courses in Web Design and Introduction to Computer Science this fall. In the spring, he will teach courses in Mobile Apps, Game Design, and Sports and Entertainment Marketing.
Technology/Engineering-Mr. Kacamburas and Mr. MacKenzie have been hard at work making their new temporary space in the high school ready for the school year.
From Instructional Technology-This year, there has been an increase in teachers requiring that students use their Google Apps for Education courses. Students who need their login information should visit the Learning Commons (library) and ask for Mrs. Grace (Instructional Technology Specialist) or Ms. Zampitella (Media Specialist/Librarian).
Student Technology Help Desk-There are still openings for any student interested in a hands-on technology student assistant position. The Student Help Desk Assistantship replaces one or more days of a study block. Interested students should see Mrs. Grace in the Learning Commons (library) for more information.
I will continue to repost items and add dates to this weekly update-I apologize in advance for any omissions. You can email me to be posted onto this listing: email@example.com
|Date||WHS Event (for more sporting schedules go to:||Location|
|Tuesday 9/15-4:00-7:00 pm||Johnson Strings||McCall MS Aud.|
|Tuesday 9/15 9:45 am||Spec. Ed. Parent Adv. Council Coffee||Winchester Public Library|
|Wednesday 9/16-3:30||Boys/Girls CC vs. Watertown||Arsenal Park-Watertown|
|Wednesday 9/16-3:30||Field Hockey vs. Burlington||MS Middle School-Burlington|
|Wednesday 9/16-3:30||Golf vs. Wakefield||Bear Hill CC, Stoneham|
|Wednesday 9/16-4:00||Girls Swim vs. Burlington||Shawsheen Tech, Wilmington|
|Wednesday 9/16-5:00||Volleyball vs. Burlington||Burlington HS|
|Thursday 9/17-3:45||Girls Soccer vs.Burlington||Home-Knowlton Stadium|
|Thursday 9/17-3:45||Boys Soccer vs. Burlington||MS Middle School-Burlington|
|Friday 9/18-7:00 pm||Football WHS vs. MC||Malden Catholic Stadium|
|Thursday 9/24-7:00-9:00||Open House for Parents and Guardians||WHS-Various Spaces and
Activity Fair in Dining Commons
|Wednesday 9/30-12:00-5:00||Winchester Community Blood Drive||First Congregational Church 21 Church St.|
|Wednesday 9/30-7:00-8:30||Senior Night for College Guidance-Class of 2016||McCall MS Auditorium|